The Harvest is over, wines are fermenting, and “thanks” is being expressed for a bountiful Harvest. November is the month of feasts and celebrating with the giving of THANKS for a bountiful year. What wines should you pair for your big FEAST? Since our foods are probably grown in Texas, local Texas wines would pair very well with these local Texas foods. Below are suggested wines from local Texas wineries to add to your celebration table for those special local foods:
- TURKEY –Becker Winery Viognier. Messina Hof Gewürztraminer. CORK THIS! Pinot Noir. Pleasant Hill Blanc du Bois (dry). Windy Winery Chardonnay, Whitley vineyards Grenache Rose.
- SUGAR–CURED HAM – Bernhardt Winery Schrock. CORK THIS! Riesling. Messina Hof Angel Riesling. Whitley vineyards Blanc du Bois
- WILD GAME BIRDS – Becker Iconoclast Cabernet Sauvignon; Bernhardt Winery Merlot.
- SAUSAGE – Bernhardt Winery Cabernet Sauvignon. CORK THIS! Cabernet Franc. Blue Epiphany Combinado
- POT ROAST – Messina Hof Paulo Meritage. Bernhardt Cabernet Sauvignon. CORK THIS! One Night Stand Cabernet Sauvignon, Whitley vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Chocolate Desserts – Bernhardt Winery PORT. Messina Hof Paulo Port. Blue Epiphany Tannat.
Whatever your choice of food, remember that local foods always go best with local wines! Plan a road trip with friends and visit several of the wineries to buy these local wines. Locations and contacts for these wineries are outlined below in alphabetical order:
- Bernhardt Winery located at 9043 County Road 204 between Plantersville and Dobbin. (bernhardtwinery.com) or call (936) 894-9829.
- Blue Epiphany Winery at 400 Bryant Road in Conroe or call (281) 967-9799
- CORK THIS! Winery is located in Heritage Plaza on the south side of SH 105 about 500 feet west of FM 149 in Montgomery. (www. com) or call (936) 597-4030.
- Messina Hof Winery at 4545 Old Reliance Road in Bryan (messinahof.com) or call (800) 736-9463.
- Pleasant Hill Winery at 1441 Salem Road in Brenham (pleasanthillwinery.com) or call (979) 830-VINE.
- Whitley Vineyards at 401 College Street in Montgomery or call (936) 449-8052
- Windy Winery located near the Brenham Airport at 4232 Clover Road (windywinery.com) or call (979) 836 3252
By the way, several of these wineries can also produce your own unique labeled wines based on your designs and logos. Imagine having your own label on that special bottle of wine on your Thanksgiving Table. If you plan ahead with these wineries, you can add that extra special flair to that celebration of a bountiful harvest! These special wines also make great Christmas gifts!
Upcoming Wine Events
The weather has been awesome paired with local wine events. Before that next major chill arrives, try these local wine events:
- Every Saturday – Messina Hof hosts a cellar tour and tasting at 6:30 pm. Taste wines straight from the tanks and barrels. ($25)
- November 10th – Bernhardt Winery hosts Rick Schuler in a John Denver Tribute.
- November 16th – Bernhardt Winery hosts a Holiday Vino Piazza featuring holiday shopping in a festive holiday winery spirit.
- November 17th – Messina Hof Winery in Bryan hosts cooking classes with wine centered on a three course meal. This course focuses on “traditional holiday foods” and costs $69.95 plus tax and 20% gratuity. For more information call: (979) 778-4963 ext. 234
- First two weekend in December – Holiday Crystal Wine Trail along the Texas Bluebonnet Wine Trail
- December 14th – Winter Solstice Celebration at Bernhardt Winery.